To set up a standard game of Star Wars: Armada, proceed through the following steps in order.
1. Determine Initiative: The player whose fleet has the lowest total fleet point cost chooses which player is the first player. The first player places the initiative token next to his edge with the blue side faceup. If the players are tied in fleet points, flip a coin to decide which player makes the choice.
4. Gather Components: Each player places his ships, squadrons, and cards next to the play area and near his edge.
- Set each shield dial and squadron disk to its maximum shield and hull values.
- Set the activation slider of each squadron to display the blue end.
- Assign the appropriate defense tokens to each ship and unique squadron.
- Gather enough command dials and speed dials for the fleet. Assign ID tokens to ships and squadrons as necessary.
5. Place Obstacles: If not stated otherwise at the objective card for the game, the players take turns choosing and placing obstacles into the play area starting with the second player. Obstacles must be placed within the setup area, beyond distance 3 of the edges of the play area and beyond distance 1 of each other.
6. Deploy Ships: Starting with the first player, the players take turns deploying their forces into the setup area.
8. Clean Up: Remove the setup area markers from the play area.
Optional Rule Edit
Before beginning a game, the players may agree to play a game with Unlimited Rounds.
- The game does not end after the sixth round; instead, the game ends only when all of one player’s ships are destroyed. The players ignore Set Up step 2 "Choose Objective", when playing with this rule, but place obstacles as normal.
- In addition, at the end of each round, the player with initiative gives initiative to his opponent by passing the initiative token to that player.