The defender can spend one or more of its defense tokens. He cannot spend any single defense token more than once per attack, and he cannot spend more than one defense token of each type per attack. If the defender’s speed is “0,” he cannot spend any defense tokens.
- To spend a readied defense token, flip its green side to its exhausted side (red).
- To spend an exhausted defense token, discard it.
Source: RRG 1.5.0 p.2 , p.5
The next step during attack is Resolve Damage.
The defender has to declare which defense tokens he spends, before the Resolve Damage step. However the effects of some defense tokens take place before the attacker can resolve a critical effect, some after that. All declared defense tokens must be spent, even if no effect takes place.
Defense tokens to resolve before critical effect:
- Scatter: The defender cancels all attack dice.
- Evade: According to range, the defender chooses and cancels 1-2 attack dice or he chooses 1-2 attack dice to be rerolled.
- Contain: Prevent the attacker from resolving the standard critical effect.