Each effect in the game has a timing during which it can resolve (Round or specific Game Phase, Attack or specific Attack Step, or a specific event). This timing is usually specified within the effect, though some effects use the more specific timing described in this section.
- An effect that modifies attack dice can only be resolved during the “Resolve Attack Effects” step of an attack unless another timing is specified.
- “:” All critical effects can be resolved at the start of the “Resolve Damage” step of an attack.
- Effects with a command icon as a header, such as “:,” can be resolved once while the ship is resolving the matching command.
When / While / Before / After
- A “when” effect occurs at the moment that the specified event occurs and cannot occur again for that instance of the event.
- A “while” effect can be resolved during the specified event and cannot occur again during that instance of the event.
- A “before” effect occurs immediately before the specified event and cannot occur again for that instance of the event.
- An “after” effect occurs immediately after the specified event and cannot occur again for that instance of the event.
At the start ... / At the end ...
- When a card specifies timing as "at the start of ..." the effect is part of the specified game phase but resolved before all other events of the phase are resolved.
- When a card specifies timing as "at the end of ..." the effect is part of the specified game phase but resolved after all other events of the phase have been resolved.
- During setup, card effects can be resolved only if they are an objective card effect or an effect that specifies a timing during setup. (e.g. • Grav Shift Reroute)
- During setup, ships and squadrons that have not yet been deployed are in play, and their ship, squadron, and upgrade cards are active, unless that ship or squadron has been destroyed or set aside.
- If two or more of a player’s effects have the same timing, that player can resolve those effects in any order.
- If both players have effects with the same timing, the first player resolves all of his effects with that timing first.
Source: RRG 1.5.0 p.5/6